Monday, October 09, 2006

install DB2 on Gentoo (Part 2)

It has come to my attention that there is significant interest in installing DB2 on Gentoo Linux.

I am running the kernel 2.6.17-gentoo-r8 on an AMD Athlon(tm) XP. It is a fully up to date on all installed packages as off the writing of this Blog.

1. Pre-requistes
Emerge the rpm package and any of its pre-requisites:

emerge rpm

2. Installation
Follow the installation section of 15.2 at: The Linux Documentation Project - Installing DB2 Version 8.2 on Gentoo (2005-01-17)
Pay attention to that step 4. It suprised me. You need to type in the product name of the only product on the list. Intuitive?
3. Post Installation configuration
Follow steps 1 - 3 in section 15.3 at: The Linux Documentation Project - Installing DB2 Version 8.2 on Gentoo (2005-01-17)
Insert a step 3.5: Ensure / directory access read permissions for users in my out of the box installation of gentoo see further detail in this post of mine. As root Run this command:
chmod a+rx /
Continue with step 4
4. I also enabled remote connections section 15.3.1: The Linux Documentation Project - Installing DB2 Version 8.2 on Gentoo (2005-01-17)
5. Install IBM Software Developer's Kit for Java:

rpm --force --nodeps -ivh db2/linux/Java-1.4/IBMJava2-SDK-1.4.1-2.0.i386.rpm

6. I was then able to run db2cc as the user db2inst1.


Following all that I created a database through the control center.

My next goal is going to be a tougher one (I suspect): to see if I can install Rational CQ on Gentoo.

Enjoy,
Paul

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Pearls a gift of love which she will adore and pass down the generations. Give her pearls for Christmas!

Anonymous said...

It is useful
Regards,
Jack
http://db2examples.googlepages.com/