Sunday, November 12, 2006

HTML Validation Service (W3C Markup)

While exploring the internet trying to figure out a trivial little problem, I discovered a tool that the w3.org has provided to any and all users on the internet that I forgot about. It can validate a multitude of DOCTYPE from XHTML 1.0 to SVG 1.1 and several flavors in between.

A quote from the validator's FAQ:
"Most pages on the World Wide Web are written in computer languages (such as HTML) that allow Web authors to structure text, add multimedia content, and specify what appearance, or style, the result should have.

As for every language, these have their own grammar, vocabulary and syntax, and every document written with these computer languages are supposed to follow these rules. The (X)HTML languages, for all versions up to XHTML 1.1, are using machine-readable grammars called DTDs, a mechanism inherited from SGML.

However, Just as texts in a natural language can include spelling or grammar errors, documents using Markup languages may (for various reasons) not be following these rules. The process of verifying whether a document actually follows the rules for the language(s) it uses is called validation, and the tool used for that is a validator. A document that passes this process with success is called valid.

With these concepts in mind, we can define "markup validation" as the process of checking a Web document against the grammar (generally a DTD) it claims to be using."

This reminds me, I should remember to throw pages I publish through this tool. I expect it to be more pedantic than a web browser, but that is a good thing. I see a few things that I need to fix up on a could of my sites right now.

The Link: The W3C Markup Validation Service

They also provide a number of other tools such as:
A Link Checker
CSS Validator
Feed Validator
P3P Validator
RDF Validator
XML Schema Validator
HTML Semantic Extractor - Checks for metadata

Keywords: HTML validation, HTML, XML validation, XHTML, XHTML 1.0, XHTML 1.1, SVG, SVG 1.1, SVG 1.0, Web page validator, validate my html, validate the html on my website.

No comments: